Tuesday, January 3, 2012

'nothing changes on new year's day'

Another year, another post.

This will only be a brief ‘salut!’ to greet the New Year and try and re-mould my brain into some semblance of functionality. Christmas came and went, as did New Year. Hamley’s toystore in London stopped gendering its floors. There were more aftershocks in Christchurch, newspaper tales of dying mothers briefly gave way to stories about birthing mothers, specifically the first babies of the new year, and the occasional bit of good weather. There was overeating and the odd night out, year in review articles and a toddler who started walking.

A lot can happen in two weeks.

Before I marshall my thoughts and start tackling that stack of freshly-accumulated reading material, I’d like to take this opportunity to make some resolutions about forthcoming blog posts in honour of the new(ish) year:

1. I’ll likely be blogging on such topics as ‘motherbaby’, the reconfiguration of public and private, truth and experience, the language of failure and of choice ... you know, the fun stuff.

2. I’ll be reviewing some of my holiday reading and searching out new resources (I’ve just found a great-looking website for the mothers movement, for example).

3. I’ll also be thinking about some changes in my own mothering life: no longer breastfeeding, finding childcare, and returning to work.

4. And, courtesy of Myers-Briggs psychometric type indicators and Janet P. Penley, I’ll be working out my Motherstyle and solving all my problems! (actually, not so sure about that last one...)

Of course, I hope to go better with these than my other resolutions (um, day four of the new year and still have not done any particular exercise...)

So, Happy New Year and I’ll be back soon.